Is it every woman’s dream to raise kids along side her best friend? Maybe not, but it sure was mine.
I pictured us with big round bellies, sharing the overwhelming joys of pregnancy and motherhood.
Wanderlust stole my dream.
Robin moved across the country for graduate school several years ago. Young, brave and determined, she packed her car and headed west.
Visits, phone calls and love held us together. I’m not good at long distance relationships of any kind and our lives were so different, still our friendship survived.
When I started my family, Robin was ending a relationship. When Robin decided to travel, I was moving into a new home and getting ready for baby #2. When my life seemed settled, Robin was falling in love.
I have always been right here. Robin has been to Oregon, California, Hawaii, New Zealand, Australia, France and heaven only knows where next.
And while I admire her courage, I can’t help but hurt over the dream I lost. I truly thought, somehow fate would bring us back together and we would watch our babies grow – together.
Fine Robins, do what you do.
Instead, I have Auntie Robin for my girls. The woman who has traveled the world and can share those experiences with Lovie and Tootsie. And I recognize the awesomeness in opening their eyes to the wonder of far away places.
So, things didn’t work out the way I thought they would. Clearly, I'm not in charge around here.
No comments:
Post a Comment
Is anyone out there?