I found the recipe on one of my favorite blogger's page. Hers was a Plum Upside Down cake. I made it that way once, but then I had pears from my neighbor's tree to use up.
Dig’s Upside Down Cake
1 1/2 sticks (6 ounces) unsalted butter, softened
3/4 cup light brown sugar
2 pounds Italian plums, pitted and quartered I used pears
1 1/2 cups whole wheat flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup granulated sugar
2 large eggs, separated
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
1/2 cup whole milk
3/4 cup light brown sugar
2 pounds Italian plums, pitted and quartered I used pears
1 1/2 cups whole wheat flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup granulated sugar
2 large eggs, separated
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
1/2 cup whole milk
Preheat the oven to 350°.
Melt 4 tablespoons of the butter and pour it in a 9-inch cake pan. Sprinkle the brown sugar evenly in the dish. Arrange the plum (or pear!) wedges in the dish in several concentric circles.
In a small bowl, whisk the flour, baking powder and salt. (I just put it all in my flour sifter and sift onto wax paper.)
In a medium bowl, using a handheld mixer, beat the remaining stick of butter with the granulated sugar until fluffy
| Organic, Creamline AND from Grass-Fed Cows? | Be still, my heart! |
In a medium bowl, beat the egg whites until they hold firm peaks. Using a rubber spatula, stir one-third of the egg whites into the batter to lighten it, then gently fold in the remaining whites.
Spread the batter over the plums and bake for about 55 or until a butter knife inserted in the center comes out clean. Let the cake cool for 15 minutes, then turn it out onto a plate. Cut the cake into wedges and serve warm or at room temperature. Try not to make a pig of yourself.
Spread the batter over the plums and bake for about 55 or until a butter knife inserted in the center comes out clean. Let the cake cool for 15 minutes, then turn it out onto a plate. Cut the cake into wedges and serve warm or at room temperature. Try not to make a pig of yourself.
*I have made this cake several times and every single time I swear it is the best cake ever.
No comments:
Post a Comment
Is anyone out there?