Tuesday, October 11, 2011

Plum Butter

I have been inspired this year to feed my family the best quality food I can. To me, that means homemade, local and organic whenever possible. Our local Farmer's Market delights me with all its local produce. Sometimes it's hard to stay focused and realistic on what I can manage when it comes to incorporating foods into our menu or preserving them for future use. How do I forget that I work full time? As much as I want to be home canning and what-not, I really only have the weekend to get done what wish I could spend days doing.

I bought 2 quarts of plums on Saturday. I decided to make Plum Butter. I know I should probably follow a recipe, but I like to pretend like I've got everything I need right in my head. I read how someone didn't peal the plums and the butter turned out fine, so I figured why spend all that time?

I split and pitted the plums and that was enough work. I threw them in a heavy saucepan and cooked them over low. Just when they were warmed through, I used my immersion blender to puree them. Cooked, cooked, cooked them until the sauce was thick and  added about 1 cup of sugar.

Result: Gorgeous color and delicious!

Seriously, my immersion blender kicks ass. That stuff is so smooth, you would never guess I hadn't pealed those babies.

I kept out just a little to eat right now and put the rest in the freezer. I think in February or March, a little frozen summer will be awesome to help fight off the winter blues.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Is anyone out there?