Wednesday, March 28, 2012

On Love

Love alone lightens every burden, and makes rough places smooth.
It bears every hardship as though it were nothing, and renders
all bitterness sweet and acceptable. ~
Thomas Kempis


That is part of a common reading used during wedding ceremonies. Though the entire thing is beautiful, that part kind of strikes a cord with me.

Before I met Hubs, I never really believed I would find love. Probably that is a common fear for single twenty-somethings, but somehow it felt true and inevitable for me. I didn't think there was a man out there who could love me-you know, the real me-that I could love in return.

Then I met Hubs and my life changed. Really.

He accepts me for who I am and loves me even when I'm at my worst.

My dad hasn't been in the best of health for many years. He has ups and some pretty scary downs with his health. About 5 years ago he was hospitalized for about a month. He was in the ICU, he was intubated, we thought we would lose him.
He recovered-he's a tough bird.

Hubs was the one who helped me get through that time. He drove me to work and picked me up every day for two weeks. I didn't ask him to, he offered because he that's how he could help take care of me.

I still get an ache at the back of my throat when I think about that time. The extreme fear of losing my Dad and the strong love I feel for Hubs for helping me move through those days.

We've had a few more days like that in the last several months. I am so thankful that my dad is a fighter.

I have struggles just like everyone does. Sometimes I can't see past the fog of fear and my feet feel so heavy. Then Hubs appears and pulls me along, he holds my hand and somehow I find myself outside the fog.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Is anyone out there?